The dangers and repercussions of driving under the influence are well-established, yet there are individuals who persist in getting behind the wheel after consuming excessive amounts of alcohol. Victims of accidents caused by drunk drivers can suffer severe injuries with lasting consequences, and those responsible must be held liable for their reckless behavior.
In the event that you have been involved in an accident with an intoxicated motorist, it is crucial to take every possible measure to safeguard yourself and your legal rights. This is where the expertise of a seasoned Dallas personal injury attorney becomes invaluable.
Drunk Driving Accidents Occur in Different Ways
Pedestrian Accidents: Throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, walking is a common mode of transportation for many people. Regrettably, this also increases the chances of pedestrians getting struck by drunk drivers, even when they are on sidewalks. The consequences of such accidents can be severe, often resulting in critical injuries or even fatalities.
Head-On and Wrong-Way Collisions: Intoxicated individuals who get behind the wheel can easily become disoriented and lose their sense of direction on the road. This confusion frequently leads to head-on collisions with other vehicles, which are notorious for their high fatality rates due to the intense force generated during impact.
Rear-End and Side-Swipe Accidents: Impaired drivers not only struggle with maintaining their position on the road but also often have difficulties judging distances between their vehicle and others. This frequently results in rear-end collisions and side-swipe accidents. Although these types of crashes are generally not lethal, they can still lead to severe injuries and substantial vehicular damage.
Bicycle Accidents: Similar to pedestrian accidents, bicyclists are vulnerable as well when it comes to being involved in drunk driving incidents. Biking is a popular means of getting around Dallas, which unfortunately contributes to an increased risk of these types of accidents – some of which prove to be deadly.
8 Steps To Take After Being Hit By a Drunk Driver
If you have been hit by a driver who is apparently under the influence, there are several steps to follow in order to protect both yourself and any passengers travelling with you. The following guidelines detail what to do if you fall victim to a drunk driving incident:
1. Dial 911 immediately. It is essential to contact the authorities as soon as possible after any accident, and be sure to request medical assistance if needed.
2. Attempt to identify the intoxicated driver. Should they attempt to flee the scene of the accident, be prepared by noting their license plate number and any other identifying details.
3. Take photographs of the scene. You should include images of both license plates and any damage sustained to the vehicles and/or surrounding structures.
4. Document the driver’s behavior. Take note of any strange behavior or comments they make while awaiting law enforcement and/or paramedics.
5. Cooperate with the police. Be ready to provide a comprehensive account of what transpired during the accident. Be sure to mention any observations related to the potentially intoxicated driver’s behavior or statements.
6. Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries seem minor at first glance; a licensed medical professional can recognize early indicators of more serious injuries that could manifest or worsen over time.
7. Contact your insurance company. It is your responsibility as a victim of a drunk driving incident to inform them of the situation. However, you are also entitled to seek guidance from your attorney throughout this process.
8. CONTACT THE LAW OFFICE OF BRIAN BRUNSON. Because navigating the complex legal situation following such an event can be difficult, it is important to ensure your interests are protected at every stage of the process.
By following these guidelines and enlisting the aid of an experienced attorney, you can feel confident in your ability to protect yourself and your rights after being impacted by a drunk driving accident.
Can I File A Lawsuit Against The Driver or An Establishment?
If you have been injured in an accident caused by an intoxicated driver, you can pursue legal action against them. Depending on the specific circumstances surrounding your case, you may also have the option to seek financial compensation from the establishment that served alcohol to the drunk driver. Under Texas Dram Shop Law, establishments can be held responsible if they sell alcohol to visibly intoxicated or underage individuals who later cause an accident. By consulting with an experienced attorney, you may be able to determine if this law is applicable to your case.
Victims of accidents involving intoxicated drivers may be eligible for compensatory damages to help offset the burdens of wage loss, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other consequences. In drunk driving cases, you might also qualify for punitive damages, which serve to penalize the driver for their reckless and dangerous actions.
Dealing with insurance companies and intoxicated drivers can be a complex and challenging process. If you are having trouble determining whether or not the driver is insured, an experienced attorney can provide assistance and help you move forward with your case.
If you’ve been the victim of a drunk driver, contact us today.
Named one of the “Best Car Accident Lawyers in Dallas” by Expertise.com, Brian Brunson is Dallas personal injury attorney who is dedicated to helping clients who have suffered a car, truck, or motorcycle injury through the negligent or wrongful conduct of other drivers. In addition, his professionalism is unmatched and the firms’ client reviews speak for themselves.
We proudly serve the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and surrounding areas, our office supports the legal needs of a wide variety of clients. Let the Law Office of Brian Brunson be your advocate in your time of need and help you put your life back together. If we can’t win or settle your case, you don’t pay a dime! We know it can be daunting to take that first step after you’ve been hurt. Contact Brian Brunson today via email or call us toll-free at 1-844-41-WRECK. We can help, when no one else will.